Coordinator of the network
For further information please contact:
Ms Soraya Saidj, PhD
Research coordinator of the Perinatal Research Network
Quebec Research Network in Perinatal Determinants of Children’s Health financial support for students and postdoctoral fellows competition
Results: No later than October 1
The Quebec Research Network in Perinatal Determinants of Children Health (Quebec Perinatal Research Network) opens a complementary financial support competition for Ph. D. students (up to 6 financial supports) and postdoctoral fellows (up to 4 financial supports) who are supervised by a researcher who is a member of the network and is willing to offer them a financial support.
These financial supports are awarded to outstanding Ph. D. students postdoctoral fellows to enable them to continue their research training and support researchers in students and postdoctoral fellows recruitment.
Financial supports amount
For the current year, the amounts of the financial supports are as follows:
- Ph. D. students financial support : $20,000
- Postdoctoral financial support: $45,000
Funding for each financial support is provided by the Perinatal Research Network and 50% by the postdoctoral fellow’s supervisor:
|Financial support||Amount from the Quebec Perinatal Research Network||Amount from the supervisor||Total|
|Ph. D.||10 000 $||10 000 $||20 000$|
|Postdoctoral fellowship||22 500 $||22 500 $||45 000 $|
Financial supports are awarded to postdoctoral fellows during twelve (12) months, non-renewable from the date of activation.
Financial supports are activated between 1st November and 1st December of the current year. Postdoctoral fellows wishing to activate their financial support after December 1 must decline the financial support at activation.
The Financial support offered by the Quebec Perinatal Research Network ends at the end of the Ph.D. studies or at the end of the postdoctoral fellowship.
Accumulation of scholarships
Multiple scholarships are not allowed for students and postdoctoral fellows. Recipients who have obtained a scholarship of an equal or greater amount from another public granting organization or a foundation must inform and decline the financial support offered by the Quebec Perinatal Research Network.
However, if the scholarship from the granting organization/foundation is less than the amount of the financial support offered by the Quebec Perinatal Research Network, the recipient is eligible to receive from the network and his principal supervisor (50%-50%) up to $10,000 for Ph. D. students and up to $22,500 for postdoctoral fellows to equal the amount of the financial offered by the network.
Students and postdoctoral fellows who took maternity, paternity or adoption leave during the study program related to their financial support application may benefit from an extension of a maximum of six months. Students wishing to benefit from this extension must notify by e-mail the network’s coordinator and include a letter of justification.
The Quebec Perinatal Research Network financial support recipient who wish to take a maternity, paternity or adoption leave must notify the coordinator of the network at least 30 days before the start of the leave. The financial support will then be suspended for a maximum of six months. The date on which the financial support was to end will be postponed for a period equivalent to the absence of the recipient.
- All candidates must be registered at a Ph. D. program or a postdoctoral fellowship at a university or a research center in Quebec;
- The candidate’s supervisor/principal supervisor in the case of a co-supervision must be a member of the Quebec Perinatal Research Network;
- The candidate must be registered at the university of affiliation of his supervisor/his principal supervisor in the case of a co-supervision. The postdoctoral fellow of a researcher with a double university affiliation must be registered at the main university of affiliation;
- The candidate must be registered in the network by his supervisor/his principal supervisor in the case of a co-supervision;
- International candidates must have a valid study permit ( students) and a valid work permit (postdoctoral fellows) at the time of activation of the financial support.
Ph. D. students
Ph. D. students who apply must:
- Hold a first or second cycle university degree, or an M. D. degree (residents, medicine students);
- Be officially accepted into a full-time doctoral program, with proof of admission/registration;
- Follow a doctoral program of a minimum of 36 credits dedicated to research and leads to a thesis;
- Have completed a maximum of twelve (12) terms of the doctoral program by September 1 of the current year;
- Not hold a scholarship for an amount equal to or greater than the amount of the financial support offered by the Quebec Perinatal Research Network at the time the financial support is activated.
- Physician carrying clinical activities are not eligible.
- Students who have benefited from the accelerated transition from the baccalaureate to the doctorate are eligible for the competition.
- The candidate must hold a Ph. D. degree. This Ph. D. degree or equivalent must have been obtained within a maximum of three (3) years before September 1 of the current year;
- The candidate must be supervised by a university researcher or a clinical university researcher;
- The candidate must meet the eligibility criteria as a postdoctoral fellow at the principal university of affiliation of his supervisor;
- The candidate must agree to formally enroll in the principal affiliate university of their supervisor as a postdoctoral fellow before the scholarship support is activated;
- If the candidate has not submitted its doctoral thesis at the time of its financial support application, he has to provide a certificate of the initial submission of the thesis before the financial support activation;
- Not hold a scholarship of an amount equal to or greater than the amount of the financial support offered by the Quebec Perinatal Research Network at the time of activation of the financial support.
HOW TO APPLY
The candidate has to read carefully the rules of the student support – scholarship supplement program. The candidate has the responsibility to ensure that the application he has submitted is complete. The committee will reject any incomplete application.
Applications must be submitted before the deadline through the online form (please, use a gmail address to log in and complete the form).
Any application submitted after the deadline will be refused and no application update will be allowed.
It is the responsibility of the candidate to make sure he receives a copy of his application form by e-mail to confirm his submission. The Quebec Perinatal Research Network is not responsible for problems with the transmission of the file. If the file is not received before the deadline, it will not be evaluated
Required documents and order of presentation.
All documents must be scanned and saved as a PDF in the order below. Applications can be written in English or in French. Documents must be submitted through the online form.
Two documents must be submitted by the candidate before the deadline:
- Application form
- The additional documents (document No.2).
DOCUMENT No. 1 : Application form
The documents below in a single PDF file and named:
- Application form (PDF), including:
- Summary of the academic record
- Description of the research project
- Skills and experience
- Leadership and implication
- Motivation letter
2. The FRQS funding version of the Canadian Common CV (CVC), up-to-date of the student/ postdoctoral fellow ;
3. The FRQS funding version of the Canadian Common CV (CVC), up-to-date of the student/ postdoctoral fellow supervisor/co-supervisors ;
4. List of detailed contributions (publications and presentations; proof of reception of submitted articles and publisher notifications of articles accepted for publication). Impact factors of every publication must be clearly indicated.
DOCUMENT No. 2: Additional documents
All the documents below in the following order and in a single PDF file. The document must be named: LASTNAME_FirstName_cycle_2021-2022_annexes
- For postdoctoral fellows: No transcript is required.
- For Ph. D. students : Transcripts are required. For studies outside of North America include a document explaining the grading system in effect in the institution, and any other pertinent information that would allow an appropriate evaluation of your application (group average, rank, etc.).
- Proof of university awards and/or scholarships (if applicable).
- Supervisor’s financial commitment form by the supervisor’s candidate.
- Support letter from his supervisor/one of his co-supervisors.
No points will be attributed without the required proofs or justifications.
Evaluation committees include active, associate and invited researchers who are representative of the network’s members.
The reviewers are not necessarily specialists in the field of research of the applicants they evaluate, therefore research projects must be written in such a way as to be accessibles to researchers from different fields of research.
The candidates will be evaluated according to: the quality and interdisciplinarity of their research project, their academic performance (only for Ph. D. students), previous experience in research, publications and presentations, the expected orientation of career, the choice of laboratory for scientific training.
Ph. D. students
|Description of the research project|
|Clarity and conciseness of the research topic and consistency between the hypotheses and objectives|
|Relevance of the methods and analyses|
|Interdisciplinarity and contribution to the advancement of knowledge|
|Academic record: rating, progression and maintenance of grades|
|Skills and experiences : Clinical and research internships|
Publications, communications, scholarships and awards
|Presentations (oral, posters)|
Motivation letter, justification of the place of training, carreer plan (postdoctoral fellows)
|Quality of the supervisor(s) dossier (if applicable)|
Leadership et implication
Commitment of the financial support holder
Financial support holders agree to respect the following conditions, otherwise the Quebec Perinatal Research Network reserves its right to terminate financial support payments:
- Carry out research activities in a research Center or a University in Quebec;
- Ph. D. students recipients have to provide the network’s coordinator a proof of registration for the fall, winter and summer terms (an email is sent to all students at each term). If the financial support holder does not submit proof of enrollment, the financial support will be suspended and a refund may be requested for the portion of the financial support paid since the start of the financial support ;
- Declare any received scholarship from organizations other than the Quebec Perinatal Research Network and submit the award’s notification to network’s coordinator upon receipt of the award’s decision ;
- Participate in student activities and be available for the activities of the Quebec Perinatal Research Network ;
- Provide the network’s coordinator with any proof of thesis submission at the time of final submission ;
- Any publication, including a thesis, resulting from the work accomplished during the period of the awarded scholarship support must acknowledge the assistance received from the Quebec Perinatal Research Network. Example: “We thank the Quebec Research Network in Perinatal Determinants of Children’s Health (Quebec Perinatal Research Network) for supporting this project.”
A final report is required at the end of the financial support payments, approximately one month following the last funded session. The awardee is notified by e-mail that he must provide a final report to the Quebec Perinatal Research Network. The awardee is required to complete and send this report by respecting the deadline mentioned. The granting of a subsequent financial assistance in another program of the Quebec Perinatal Research Network is conditional to the reception of this report.
The Quebec Perinatal Research Network strongly encourages its awardees to carry out and participate in knowledge mobilization activities (e.g. transfer, sharing, promotion, promotion and dissemination) with practice settings and the general public, when these activities are relevant.
Equity, diversity and inclusion
The Quebec Perinatal Research Network subscribes to the principle of equal access to opportunities and invites women, members of visible minorities and ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and indigenous people to apply.
Notice. The masculine form in the text is used without discrimination and for the sole purpose to facilitate reading.